Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Reflections On Opening Night

After going to the Julia Dean Gallery the past two years and always looking up at the photos on the wall and hoping and dreaming that, "one day one of my photos will be up there," it finally happened.

Julia Dean Gallery - Photography Now Opening Night

Julia Dean and Me

My fantastic teacher/mentor/friend Aline Smithson and Me

Photography Now Group

Ray, Lydia, Aline, Derek

Sharp, Me, Sonya, Mike

Sharp Squared

Me, Jim, Nancy, Dad

Dad and Me

Me and my photos

S and L

Daniel, JR, Sonya, Mike, Lydia, Sharp

Me, Lawrence, Dan

Me and Uncle Myles

Me and Charlotte

Charlotte and Sharp

Kim, Cheryl, Susan, Sharp, Lydia

Dee, Lennard, Lydia

The show opening was hectic and lots of fun and I'm so glad that I had a video camera running the entire evening so I can take it all in again. I'll post a quicktime soon of 3 hours cut down to like a minute or so. Thanks so all my family, friends, associates, etc who came to support me and check out the show. If I had to do it all over again, I would have mic'd the area near my photos so I could have listened to all the chatter later - good, bad, indifferent, whatever. I put the video camera in my corner for a little while and captured some really interesting comments so I would have loved to have heard more. The thing that suprised me most about the reaction to my photos is that women seemed to like and respond to my distressed cars the most - and I NEVER would have guessed that in a million years. In fact the one photo I thought people in general would have the most difficulties with - a VERY distressed Ford Econoline van - turned out to be the one that people seemed to like best. So you never know. The show is up til Nov. 30 (what would have been my Mom's 76th birthday), so check it out if you can.

No comments: