Thursday, June 26, 2008

A SPECIAL STATE

I am dying to go on a summer road trip. Meanwhile, I'm going over old shots from past trips and I'm sure quite a few will appear on this blog over the next few months.

I saw this sculpture, "The Spirit Of Wyoming," in front of the State Capitol Building in Cheyenne, Wyoming. It's one of the most memorable and amazing pieces of art I've ever seen. It looked incredible (and very different) from every angle.



From the web: "Conceived as a symbol to represent Wyoming's people, "The Spirit of Wyoming" depicts a cowboy and his horse at odds against nature and it's elements. This handsome bronze statue stands on the west lawn of the Capitol and is the work of national and international award winning sculptor and artist Edward J. Fraughton. The statue weighs nearly 4500 pounds and stands on a five-foot, pre-cast base for a combined height of over 18 feet."

I've driven through Wyoming on quite a few trips and there's something really special about the place. I always feel some kind of energy that I really just like. They call Montana "Big Sky Country," but when I think of that description, I really think of Wyoming more.

The Spirit of Wyoming photo by Lydia Marcus. Photographed July 31, 2003 in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

No comments: